Monday, March 12, 2007

The exploding heart factor

Recently someone was asking me about being a mom. And I said it is the highest of highs and the lowest of lows. I cannot explain to anyone without children the exploding heart factor. I know you all know what I am talking about. That moment, at least once a day, that your child looks at you and really connects with your eyes. And you see into their soul. You see this pure love. You see that the world is a kind and gentle place because of you. You see wonder. You see joy. You see innocense. You see everything in this little creature's eyes. And it hits you like a ton of bricks. That love, joy, innosence, purity, all of it. And then, BOOM, your heart explodes.

I can count on this feeling each night as I rock my boy to sleep. He just looks at me like, I love you and I don't care or know why. Thank you for loving me too, mommy. Thanks for protecting me and thanks for making sure I am safe and comfortable. I love you and trust that you will make everyday just wonderful. Then BOOM!

My day is complete once I get the exploding heart feeling. I rest easier. I leave his room with a smile on my face. I go hug my husband and thank him for taking such good care of our son all day.

As much of an adjustment motherhood has been, the exploding heart factor makes me forget A LOT!

Counting down to the BOOM! 10 hours and counting...

No comments: